Learn more about internal medicine, which focuses on diagnosing and treating adult illness.
Internal medicine is a medical specialty dealing with the long-term, comprehensive management of both common and complex medical illnesses of adolescents (age 16 and older), adults and the elderly.
Internal medicine physicians typically treat internal disorders e.g., diabetes, gastrointestinal tract problems, allergies, immune system abnormalities, stress-related disorders and many other problems.
A physician board certified in internal medicine is often referred to as an internist. The internists of our practice typically perform the following services:
- Provide ongoing care for those with chronic illnesses e.g., diabetes, hypertension or cardiac conditions
- Treat common health problems e.g., allergies, infections, influenza or pneumonia
- Examine and diagnose patients using medical equipment, instruments and tests
- Prescribe and administer drugs and treatments
- Immunize patients to protect them from preventable diseases
- Perform physical exams for school, athletics and employment
- Provide routine gynecological care (e.g., pap smears and post-menopausal care)